Sunday, July 24, 2005

Not for the faint of heart...

Last night I woke up in a puddle of blood. Things quickly went from bad to really, really bad as I rushed to the bathroom. An insane amount of blood began pouring down my legs. Of course, Drew was asleep and I'm standing in a bathroom that now looks like a gruesome murder scene. I was losing so much blood that I was honestly scared for my life. After freaking out for a few moments and trying to figure out if all of this was real or a nightmare, I decided that I had to wake up Drew and get to the emergency room. So without further hesitation, I grabbed a towel and threw on a robe hanging in the bathroom. I left bloody footprints on the carpet as I made my way back to the bedroom. I can't imagine having been in Drew's place as I woke him up and he saw the blood in the bed next to him and me totally freaking out, telling him that we had to get to the emergency room. What a rude awakening! But he handled it great and we got to the emergency room and I was admitted by 12:30 am. (Drew - feel free to add anything you want to this part of the story...) I received an IV and a shot to make my uterus contract so as to slow down the bleeding.

The Dr. FINALLY came to see me about 1:00 pm and let me know that it was 'probably just my period' starting back up...that 'yeah, sometimes women are surprised by how much they bleed when it kicks back in.' No one ever told me that this might happen...Yes, I've been dealing with post-partum bleeding since Riley was born, and I did back when Jed was born, and, yes, I've had a period before...but none of that was ANYTHING like this. I was actually really frustrated with the Dr. because, in so many words, he told me that it wasn't necessary for me to go to the emergency room and that if I'd have called he would have had me 'do all the same things, just at home'. Ok, I've since read up on all of this post-partum bleeding on the internet and I do believe that if everything happened again, I would still go to the emergency room freaking out. I read that women can die from massive hemorraging in a matter of 10-20 minutes. How was I to know how long I might bleed for?! And he wouldn't even get out of bed long enough to come check on me; he has no idea how much blood there was because he saw me 12 hours later, after the magic medicine and after a shower. I am one who HATES to go to the Dr. or be seen as paranoid so I always lean towards not acting when I probably ought to. This really was no small matter - and I hate that he made it seem like such. I think he was probably trying to comfort me in the matter of my health, going a little overboard to make me feel like I was ok and that what happened to me was not a big deal...but instead he just made me feel like I was retarded for making such a big deal of it all.

Well, the good news is that I guess I am ok...assuming, of course, that this doesn't happen again...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kent said...

I must say that we were quite nervous for you, and you were in our prayers. I'm very thankful that it was a minor deal.

7/25/2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger Drew Caperton said...

I posted the rest on my blog... thanks for letting me tell it. I love you and am glad God brought us through this with no harm. He is gracious.

7/26/2005 8:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard! Too bad Paige wasn't there to be your doctor. She wouldn't have made you feel like a retard. I miss you !

7/26/2005 9:05 PM  
Blogger shauna said...

ohmygoodness! though i've never experienced post partum bleeding . . . i hear you on the doctor thing.
i'm just glad you're okay.

7/28/2005 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home