Saturday, February 04, 2006

Politics, Religion & Parenting

You know how there are just certain topics that will always get arguments going? Well I have decided that Parenting is right up there with Politics and Religion.

I'm finding that the way I parent is very different than a lot of the people I'm meeting these days. We, of course, all think that they way we do it is the best way, otherwise we wouldn't still be doing it. I've come to realize that a BIG factor in determining our parenting styles is our priorities.

I'm sure I come off looking like a cold hearted mom at times. My kids don't get everything they want, when they want it. They get spankings. Well, Jed does. And a hug & kiss right after. They have to sleep in their own beds at night. Sometimes they even have to 'cry it out'. But they get love. They get chasing each other around the wall that divides the kitchen and the living room. They get respect. They get coloring together at our little table. They get dancing in the living room to country music. They get book after book at bedtime. They get 'armpit checks' where Jed begs to tickle or be tickled. They get to help mom load clothes in the washer & dryer. They get endless hugs and kisses. They get to sit on the counter and help mom cook dinner & wash dishes. They get mile long walks around the neighborhood with mom & dad. They get 'hop on pop' episodes until Drew laughs so hard he's crying. They get sacrifice after sacrifice made for them. They get parents who act in their best interest. They are loved in a way that, I hope, teaches them what (or rather Who) Love really is.

While their happiness one of our greatest priorities, it is not our only priority... Not even our first priority.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

I edited the last line. It used to read:

"While they are one of our greatest priorities, they are not our only priority... Not even our first priority."

That is still true, but not really my point. What it now says is much more of what I wanted it to say.

2/05/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

i like this...

2/17/2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home