Sunday, February 06, 2005

So are all parents this proud of and amazed by their children?!? Jed is only a year old and he already has such an amazing personality! He is such a little character. He makes the funniest faces waiting for you to laugh. He is learning how to let me know that he wants to eat (he claps his hands for 'more', our attempt at sign language - that was as close as we got). He's wanting hugs much more frequently than usual - and I definately don't mind that!

Tonight he really had me laughing...
He's got these funky big plastic sunglasses in with all of his toy stuff. I noticed that he was trying to put them on. I have to wear sunglasses practically all the time so he was very familiar with what they were. He brought them to me so I put them on my face, but nope, he wanted them on his. So I put those HUGE things on his little face. They barely sit on his little round nose, but he loves wearing them. Every time I'd put them on him, he would smile his scrunched up face smile (the 'i know i'm funny smile') and walk around shaking his head until the glasses fell off. Then he'd bring them to me again...so anxious to get them back on that he'd actually lean his face into the glasses, whether I was ready or not.

I know it's true...all parents think their child is exceptional. I know that I'm no different...and I knew that would be the case going into this. And yet, I still think Jedidiah is the smartest, most incredible, most adorable boy in the world. (And I'm sure I wouldn't think this if it wasn't true, right?!)

So now I'm wondering, as one of God's children, does he feel the same way about me? Not that He might think of me as perfect, and not that I think Jed is perfect, because well, when you're home with a child all day long you definately know that's NOT true...And God is the first to know (my husband a close second!) that I am far from perfect. Or far from the 'smartest, most incredible, most adorable' girl in the world. But does He see me thru a 'parent' lense? Aware of the flaws, but awed by my charm and quick wit?! Is His heart melted by my silly attempts to please him? Does He think that His kids are the greatest?

Being a parent has really brought about some new questions and insights about God. I am familiar with what it means for me to be His child, but only now am I seeing what it means for Him to be the Father.

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew Caperton said...

Interesting thought on God. I think you're on to something with that. I wonder if God would dress us funny because he likes it Old Testament style. And if he caught us smoking, would he make us smoke the whole pack of cigarettes until we threw up?

2/06/2005 11:34 AM  
Blogger John Nelson said...

I know Allison and I have felt that incredible "insight" into how God possiby views us as His children. It's such an amazing thought that I become overwhelmed by the love of God! The same way I love my daughter, the same way I get frustrated when she won't take a nap or do what I want her to do, the same way I feel when she's almost asleep in your arms gazing into your face in between long, sleepy blinks. To think that God loves me the way I love my daughter overwhelms me with gratitude and an acute awareness of His grace.

I believe God specifically designed partenthood to help us understand and grasp the vast, unfathomable love He has for us.

And Drew, I bet God really would make us smoke the whole pack (or swallow the plug in my case) just to prove the point that it's not good for us. Tough love!

2/06/2005 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home